Stressed Stroke Caregivers

I read a study recently in Biological Research for Nursing titled "Depressive Symptoms and Diurnal Salivary Cortisol Patterns Among Female Caregivers of Stroke Survivors". Big title, but the study results struck a chord with me. If you look after a stroke patient, you have an increased likelihood of being depressed.

The study looked at the markers for stress in caregivers - cortisol levels, anxiety, insomnia - and could see increased levels in caregivers versus the general population. On average, in their study, caregivers for stroke patients worked about fifty hours a week providing that care. For many of them, that's over and above any job that they have, or any time taken to look after themselves.

On a personal note, I can see how this wears on the caregiver. My wife said she would lie awake at night listening to me breathe - hoping it wouldn't stop. And constantly being concerned about travelling up and down stairs. Or unloading the dishwasher. Or going down the street on my own.

I was fortunate. Within a few months I was able to look after myself for the most part, and my wife didn't have the immediate stress of going back to work. Many don't have that luxury.

Their patients cannot manage on their own - from going to the washroom, to having a bath or shower, to feeding themselves, basically everything I now take for granted (and my wife no longer lies awake listening to me breathe).

The point of all this is lets make sure that we recognize the tremendous strain and stress put on the caregivers in our society. We need to look out for their best interests, as well as for those of their patients.

No comments:

Post a Comment